Meatloaf is a perfect option to make in a skillet or in a Dutch oven. It is a hearty yet economical meal option.
To manage the excess fat in the ground beef the meatloaf is placed on a trivet or wire rack to allow it to render out.
Serve with freshly cooked vegetables, mashed potato, and fresh bread to make it a complete meal.
Skillet Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fine dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- In a bowl combine the ground beef, eggs, milk, onion, parsley, sage, salt, and breadcrumbs. Combine well.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and place it into either a skillet or Dutch oven. The meatloaf may be placed on a wire trivet so that the fat dripping can render out.
- Bake the meatloaf at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for an hour or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F (65 degrees C), then add the glaze.
- In a small bowl combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard.
- Spread the glaze over the top of the meatloaf, return to the heat and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F (71 degrees C).
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.