Pulled Jackfruit gives a very similar look to pulled pork making it a popular vegetarian or vegan substitute at a barbecue. It also is very flavorsome also contributing to its popularity.
When menu planning it is well worth keeping in mind however that there is no significant protein so the pulled jackfruit slider should be accompanied by a high-protein side dish like a chickpea salad or tofu fries to create a well-balanced meal.
This recipe uses a very simple cabbage and mayonnaise slaw however this can be upgraded to your favorite slaw or include a storebought cabbage vegetable mix or a fancier mayo such as wasabi or sriracha styles.
Pulled Jackfruit Sliders Recipe
- 2 cans young green jackfruit
- 1 cup Slap Yo' Daddy Original BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup finely sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 sweet dinner rolls (Hawaiian bread rolls)
- Remove and drain the young jackfruit from the can then remove any residual seeds or hard bits.
- Simmer at a low temperature the jackfruit with barbecue sauce for 5-10 minutes to infuse the fruit with the flavors of the sauce.
- Grill the jackfruit or sear in a skillet to get char marks.
- Combine the finely sliced cabbage with the mayonnaise to create a simple slaw.
- Assemble sliders with the sweet dinner rolls, a pulled jackfruit base then topped with the simple slaw. Drizzle more barbecue sauce if desired and secure with toothpick to garnish.
More Sandwich Recipes
Pulled Pork Sliders
Pulled Pork Sandwich