Want to eat salad all year round? This winter-style salad uses brussels sprouts and apples to create a fresh set of flavors, using seasonal produce in the cooler months. The dressing is scratch-made also with a honey sweetener.
Although initially skeptical, the brussels sprouts worked well as a new spin to cabbage-based slaws which taste similar. The nuts and cheese balanced out the tastes and textures.
Feel free to make substitutions with ingredients available the walnuts may be substituted for pecans or slithered almonds. The white cheddar works well but can be exchanged with Parmesan or Pecorino.
Brussels Sprout Apple Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar
- 1 large apple
- In a small bowl whisk together the champagne vinegar, honey, olive oil, and salt. Leave to infuse while preparing the other ingredients.
- Finely slice the brussels sprouts.
- Chop the walnuts (size to personal preference).
- Shred the cheese, if needed.
- Thinly slice the apple, this must be done just before serving to stop it from going brown.
- Combine all the salad ingredients then toss with the honey dressing. It may be garnished with any of the individual ingredients such as cheese, apple, or full walnuts.