This is a super easy recipe for apple slaw that can be served as a quick side salad or added to a burger as the crunch element. The dressing is super easy to make as well. Prepared coleslaw dressing is spiced up with a bit of chipotle sauce.
Using fresh apples means that the time between the preparation and serving needs to be minimal otherwise they will turn brown. Alternatively, you can mix some apple cider vinegar and water to create a slightly acidic liquid. Quickly dip the apples through this to stop them from browning.
Tart apples like Granny-Smith work well to balance the salad out. Using sweet apples, like Gala, also works well. Avoid red and green delicious apples, which often lack flavor and have an unappealing texture.
Fresh Apple Slaw Recipe
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 apple cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup coleslaw dressing
- chipotle sauce or similar chili sauce, or similar chili sauce, to taste
- 1 bowl
- Place the cabbage, carrots, and apples in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Combine the coleslaw dressing and chipotle sauce to reach a heat of your personal preference.
- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables then toss again.
- Serve the apple slaw straight away so the apple doesn’t brown and the cabbage doesn’t get soggy.