Brussels sprouts have an unfortunate reputation but they are actually very tasty and this recipe takes them to a whole new level with the help of butter, garlic, and bacon.
If you are not convinced the brussels sprouts can be substituted with cabbage. The bacon can also be swapped out for pork belly or porchetta for slightly different flavors to the dish. Leave out the chili flakes if you don’t like heat.
The brussels sprouts make a great side dish to any bold meat dish such as steaks and roasts. The garlic butter and bacon make it robust and able to hold its ground against other prominent flavors.
Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 20 brussels sprouts
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices streaky bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons chili flakes
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan thinly grated/shredded
- 1 lemon juiced
- frypan or skillet
- Prepare the brussels sprouts by removing any remaining stalk and dirty or damaged outer leaves, then slice in half.
- Heat a skillet gently melting the butter. When all melted add the brussels sprouts and saute.
- When the sprouts are starting to soften add the diced bacon, garlic, and chili flakes.
- Cook until the sprouts are soft and the garlic lost its pungency.
- Just before serving stir through the Parmesan cheese. When plated drizzle with the lemon juice.