Just in time for summer, Strawberry Kale Salad features kale, fresh strawberries, goat cheese, and sliced almonds. The dressing is a sweet and tangy mixture of barbecue sauce, vinegar, and a touch of mustard. This salad has the perfect balance of texture, flavor, and color.
Some folks may raise an eyebrow about eating raw kale. However, the acid in the salad dressing breaks down the kale, making it tender and tasty. Make sure to remove the ribs of the kale, the tough fibrous part that is less palatable when eaten raw.
The trick to making a smooth and homogenous salad dressing is in how you mix it. Start by combining the barbecue sauce, vinegar, and mustard. Then very slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking vigorously, to make sure it is evenly suspended in the dressing.
Strawberry Kale Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Blues Hog Tennessee Red Barbecue Sauce or favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon strawberry fig glaze or balsamic glaze
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey optional
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 bunch kale ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 1/2 pound strawberries hulled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- In a small bowl whisk together the Tennessee Red sauce, glaze, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking constantly. Set aside.
- Place the kale leaves in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with some of the dressing and gently massage for a few minutes to soften the leaves.
- Divide the salad between plates and top with the strawberries, goat cheese, peppers, and almonds. Serve with the remaining dressing.
BBQ Grilled Salad