Coleslaw is a popular side dish in the Southern United States, and this Southern-style Slaw is no exception. It’s a bit sweet and creamy, including celery seeds and celery salt.
The slaw is a simple combination of shredded cabbage and carrots. If you like additional flavor, color, or texture, add a few other ingredients that you might have on hand, like fresh herbs or other shredded veggies.
Prepare the dressing separately, or make a double batch, and use it to dress potato salad. If you don’t have avocado mayonnaise, substitute regular mayonnaise with a little avocado mashed into it.
Southern Style Slaw Recipe
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 4 cups cabbage finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons onions grated
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Place the carrots and cabbage in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the onions, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds, and celery salt.
- Use ½ cup dressing to toss with the cabbage mixture. Let set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Reserve the remaining dressing for another use.
More Salad Recipes
Fresh Apple Slaw