Sauspatot may have an unusual name, but is really just a flavorful sausage stew made with smoked sausages and cubed potatoes. The sauce is tomato-based with flavors coming from bell peppers, onions, and garlic.
Increase or decrease the amount of Serrano peppers depending on how spicy you like your food. It can be completely skipped if you don’t like heat. Alternate chili peppers can also be substituted if desired.
This stew can easily be served as dinner or lunch. It is balanced enough to be served as a one-pot meal or if needing something more substantial it goes well with rice or mashed potatoes.
Sauspatot (Sausage Stew) Recipe
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 Serrano pepper (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum)
- olive oil for cooking
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into bite-size pieces
- Dutch oven
- Remove the stems, seeds, and veins from the peppers and chop.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook until translucent.
- Mix in the garlic, salt, and pepper and cook until fragrant.
- Pour in the broth, tomato sauce, water, and potatoes. Simmer on low for 1 hour.
- Add the sausage and continue to cook for 1 more hour, until the potatoes are tender and start to break down. Serve.
BBQ Grilled Kebab