A hearty vegan recipe, carrot and potato soup is perfect to warm you on cold winter days. Made with potatoes, carrots, onions, fresh thyme, and rosemary, this soup is aromatic and comforting. It’s also super easy to prepare, just chop the veggies and let it simmer until everything is perfectly tender.
Though the soup is perfect like it is, you can mix and match different vegetables and herbs, depending on what you have. Try swapping out the potatoes for other root vegetables, like celeriac or parsnips. Fresh savory or marjoram are great substitutes for thyme and rosemary.
This soup goes great with a chunk of fresh, crusty bread. Bake your own in a Dutch oven, or pick up a loaf at the store. You can also serve this soup with hot cooked white or brown rice.
Carrot and Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Dutch oven
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, takes about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and stock to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are very soft and start falling apart, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the thyme and rosemary sprigs. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve hot.