This is a mild curried sausage recipe that is great for a simple camp meal. It can be a one-pot dish or served with simple camp sides like instant potatoes or tinned vegetables.
The curried sausage dish itself includes carrots and onions that are simmered in an easy and flavorful curry sauce. The flavoring comes from yellow curry powder, which in Australia is often referred to under its brand name Keen’s curry powder.
Although a simple dish there is a whole generation of Australian children that were brought up eating this as an easy budget midweek meal. In a camp setting, it also offers a comfort-food feel because of its heartiness and ease to make.
Curried Sausages Recipe
- 17 oz sausages
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, fry the sausages until they are just cooked through. Cut into smaller pieces, if desired.
- Add the onions and carrots to the sausage, then continue to cook until the onions are softened and translucent.
- In a bowl, combine the water, cornstarch, curry powder, cumin, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the sauce mixture to the frying pan and stir constantly until thickened and gently simmering.
- When the sauce has thickened serve alone or with camp mashed potatoes, rice, or vegetables.
More Sausage Recipes
Sauspatot (Sausage Stew)
Smoked Sausage and Black Bean Rice
I made this for a mid week dinner.. My boys enjoyed it. Simple ingredients. I had all the ingredients on hand which was a added bonus.Will make again