A quick and easy weeknight dinner, stir-fried satay beef uses simple but flavorful ingredients you have in your cupboard. Tender steak is marinated, then cooked over high heat with onions. A rich sauce with peanut butter is then tossed with the beef.
Not to be confused with satay stick kebabs this dish is a stir fry and is sometimes spelled beef sate.
For the best results, use a wok for this recipe. Made of carbon steel, this pan cooks food quickly and evenly over high heat. If you don’t have a wok, you can use a saute pan or cast-iron skillet.
We use beef tenderloin steak in this recipe because it is so tender and only needs to cook for a short period of time. You can substitute the tenderloin with ribeye steak, or even pork tenderloin. Make sure to have some cooked white or brown rice on hand to soak up the delicious sauce.
Stir-Fried Satay Beef Recipe
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon palm sugar or white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sambal
- 1 pound beef tenderloin steak
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil plus more for cooking
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- black pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, peanut butter, rice wine, soy sauce, curry powder, garlic, sugar, and chili sambal. Set aside.
- Trim all fat from the tenderloin. Cut the meat into 1/4-inch (5mm) slices. Place the meat in a medium bowl and toss with the water, oil, soy sauce, cornstarch, and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef, separating each piece as it goes into the wok. Brown on both sides, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan.
- Add the onions to the wok and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved satay sauce and bring to a boil. Return the beef to the pan and toss to combine and heat through, this takes about 1 minute. Serve immediately over cooked rice.