When I first tried this I was surprised at how tasty this simple recipe was. Fried banana bread could be the next big thing in camp cooking! Some banana bread can be light and crumbly. If this is the case cut it thicker so it holds together. Dense banana bread definitely works better.
It is such a simple recipe that can be used at breakfast and served with yogurt and berries. Or try it as a dessert with syrup, ice cream, custard, or cream.
You can bring banana bread specifically to cook this recipe. Or it is a great option to spontaneously make some if you have some banana bread at camp that is getting old or starting to go hard.
Fried Banana Bread Recipe
- 4 thick slices banana bread
- 4 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups Greek yogurt to serve
- 2 cups berries to serve
- Slice the banana bread into 3/4-inch-thick (2cm) slices.
- Spread the bread generously with butter or margarine on both sides.
- Heat a skillet or flat top BBQ to moderate heat.
- Fry the bread until brown and crisp. Flip and brown the other side. The more sugar in the banana bread the quicker this will happen.
- Serve hot topped with yogurt and berries for breakfast or as a dessert.
Dutch Oven Dessert