Looking for a sweet yet easy dessert while camping? Try these Dutch oven banana fritters that take only minutes to cook. In a simple recipe, fresh bananas are battered then fried until golden brown.
Once cooked they can be served alone as finger food or plated with a side of cream, ice cream, or yogurt. This recipe drizzles them with caramel sauce which could make it too sweet for some people.
The trick to a good quality deep-fried item is to make sure the oil is hot, otherwise, the results can be greasy. Apart from getting to temperature don’t be tempted to add too many at once as this reduces the oil temperature and is harder to manage the color on them all.
Dutch Oven Banana Fritter Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- oil to deep fry
- 4 bananas
- extra flour for dusting
- caramel sauce to drizzle
- Dutch oven
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and water in a bowl. Whisk until smooth to make a batter.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cut the bananas in half longways, then in half short ways to get 4 even pieces per banana.Tip: Cutting the bananas at the last possible moment helps stop them from going brown, which can happen very quickly.
- Dust the bananas in the flour.
- Dip the flour dusted bananas in the batter, then gently place them into the oil in the Dutch oven.
- Cook until the underside is lightly brown then roll to cook the other side, about 5 minutes per side. Cook in small batches so as to not cool the oil. When the second side is light brown, remove the banana fritter to a paper towel to rest.
- Place on the serving plate then drizzle with the caramel sauce to serve.
More Banana Recipes
Cast Iron Cooking
Fried Banana Bread