Based on traditional rustic tarts this Camping Apple Tart has minimal ingredients, equipment, and hassle making it a perfect camping choice.
Any apple can be used to make this, however, Granny Smith tends to be better for baking, if another style s used the amount of sugar will need to be adjusted. Pear may also be used.
The pastry works better when kept cold and chilled between steps so may be harder to make on really hot days outdoors. On really cold days the chilling between steps may be skipped, as long as the pastry remains cold.
Camping Apple Tart Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 16 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
- flour for rolling
- 4 apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- dessert rub or cinnamon, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- baking tray
- Rolling Pin
- In a large bowl add the flour and butter then rub together until they look like cracker crumbs up to the size of a pea.
- Sprinkle the ice water over the flour and butter then stir lightly together with a butter knife.Tip: If you squeeze a handful of the dough in your hand and it holds together it is good, if it doesn’t slowly add a little more ice water.
- Divide the dough in half and make it into two chubby dough disks. Chill until needed but at least an hour.
- Clean the apples the half and remove the core. Slice thinly into even pieces.
- In a bowl add the sugar and mix well. Set aside until needed.
- Roll one of the discs out to a round circle about 14 inches (35 cm) round. Place on a baking tray.
- Place half the apples in the center spreading slightly. Fold up the edges of the pastry overlapping yet leaving the center apple exposed. Chill for 30 minutes.⅔
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Whisk the egg white and water together, then brush on the exposed areas of the pastry. Sprinkle these areas with sugar.
- Place the Apple tart in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the tart from the baking tray and place it on a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.