Skillet Crab Cakes is a flavorful recipe that can be cooked right where you catch the crabs or when you return home.
The recipe starts by making a crab salad, alternately this could be leftover crab salad from a previous meal. A few specific seasonings are in the recipe but you can swap these out for your preferred ones on crab.
The actual frying of the crab cakes is the trickiest bit. The big tip is the medium temperature and touching as little as possible. Allowing the cakes to firm up through the cooking process helps keep them together when flipping or serving.
Skillet Crab Cakes Recipe
- 3 cups cooked shelled crab
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Slap yo Mamma seasoning to taste (or similar Cajun seasoning)
- Old Bay seasoning to taste
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- large skillet
- Combine the crab, mayonnaise, green onions, lemon juice, Slap Your Mamma, and Old Bay in a large bowl then gently fold together.
- Roast the Anaheim and jalapeño peppers by coating them in olive oil and then charing them on the grill. Place the charred peppers in a plastic bag. Remove and dispose of the skin, stem, and seeds. Dice into small pieces. Add to the crab salad.
- Add to the crab salad the egg and ½ a cup of the breadcrumbs. Stir until well combined. Slowly add additional breadcrumbs until a sturdy texture that will allow the forming of patties.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs on a chopping board. Form crab patties in your hands then place them on the breadcrumbs turning to make sure they are covered on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet to a medium temperature then add the butter and olive oil. When melted add the crab cakes and cook for about 5 minutes on either side or until the crab cakes are golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Serve hot.
More Crab Recipes
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Grilled Crab Cakes
Dungeness Crab Cocktail