After a hot day crabbing, this refreshing Dungeness Crab Cocktail is a quick and easy appetizer or light dinner.
A range of fresh ingredients such as cucumber, tomato, and cilantro are combined in a home-seasoned spicy tomato juice before adding the star ingredient, the crab.
There are a few spicy ingredients including fresh jalapeno, hot sauce, and horseradish. If heat isn’t your thing then these can all have their amounts reduced to create a milder version, but don’t worry there are still plenty of ingredients to give it a rich flavor.
Dungeness Crab Cocktail Recipe
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- handful fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- spicy tomato juice or Clamato
- 2 tablespoons Tajin
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Valentina hot sauce to taste
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 pounds Dungeness crab cooked and cooled
- 6 serving glasses
- Finely dice the onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber, then place in a stainless bowl. Tip: If you like the flavor of jalapeño but not the heat remove the seeds and ribs (the white stuff inside).
- Squeeze into the diced items half of the lime then season with salt and pepper.Tip: The lime breaks the onion down so it is not so sharp.
- Submerge ingredients in the tomato juice. Mix in Tajin, ketchup, hot sauce, and horseradish. Taste for heat. Adjust to your liking.
- Fold in Dungeness crab then chill for at least 4 hours. Tip: If using a cooler, placing the mixture in a plastic bag would make it more practical to store.
- Serve chilled in a glass or bowl.
More Crab Recipes
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Grilled Crab Cakes
Smoked Hot Crab Dip