Possibly one of the best examples of making simple food while camping, potato chip hash uses plain chips as the potato component. The flavor is boosted by adding onions, garlic, chili paste, and other spices.
Eggs are cracked into the potato chip mixture, then cooked to bind everything together. Adding a lid does help it cook more evenly. Finally, the whole dish is sprinkled with fresh cilantro and green onions.
Hash is a common and popular breakfast dish, often using shredded potatoes or squash, sausage or bacon, and spices. This particular recipe, with a potato chip shortcut, is one that you probably haven’t seen before but is definitely worth trying at least once.
Potato Chip Hash Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Thai green chili paste
- 1 large bag chips, plain or flavored
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 green onion (spring onion), thinly sliced
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet, then cook the diced onions until transparent.
- Add the Thai green chili paste and stir.
- Add the large bag of chips and combine well.
- Make four craters into the chip mixture then crack the eggs and cook until the whites are just firm, or until your preferred doneness. If you add a lid it helps to create a more even cook on the eggs.
- Sprinkle with diced cilantro and sliced spring onions to serve.
More Hash Recipes
Pulled Pork Hash
Potato and Beef Hash