Potato and Beef Hash is prepared in a Dutch oven over an open fire, for a hearty and healthy meal at camp. With simple ingredients, like ground beef, potatoes, onions, and seasonings, this will make everyone happy.
All of the ingredients get cooked together in your Dutch oven, for an easy and simple meal. To save time on clean-up, line your Dutch oven with parchment paper before cooking.
Though this meal was originally served as a dinner, you could easily make it as a warming and filling breakfast before heading out for the day. Or, warm up any leftovers from the night before, and tuck them in tortillas for lunch.
Potato and Beef Hash Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes quartered
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dutch oven
- Add all of the ingredients to a parchment-lined Dutch oven. Crumble the meat so that it is evenly distributed among the potatoes and onions.
- Once the coals are hot, spread them out and nestle the Dutch oven in the hot coals.
- Cover with the lid and place hot coals on top. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check for doneness, cooking a little longer if necessary.