A simple but elegant dish a Picnic Tomato and Pesto Tart is as nice to look at as it is to eat. A creamy mixture of yogurt, cream, and eggs is baked in a puff pastry shell, layered with tomatoes and pesto. For the best flavor, use tomatoes at the peak of their season.
This tart is equally at home as an appetizer, first course, or a light meal paired with a fresh salad. It packs up well for leftovers for lunch or a snack if you don’t eat the whole thing in one sitting.
You can mix the tart up a bit by layering it with different colored tomatoes when they are in season. Or, try adding a bit of chopped fresh herbs to the yogurt and cream base. Try soft herbs, like basil, oregano, marjoram, or parsley.
Picnic Tomato and Pesto Tart Recipe
- 2 sheets prepared frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1/2 cup red or green pesto homemade or store-bought
- 4 large Roma tomatoes sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 x 11-inch (20 x 28cm) rectangle flan tin
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line an 8 x 11-inch (20 x 28cm) rectangle metal flan tin with the pastry. Trim to size.
- Spread the pesto over the pastry. Arrange the tomato slices on top of the pesto.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cream, eggs, salt, and pepper until well combined. Carefully pour the mixture around the tomatoes, trying to keep the tomatoes exposed.
- Bake until the filling at the center of the tart is firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Cool in the tin, unmold, then cut into slices to serve.
Cast Iron Cooking