This hot dog tart is a wonderful example of taking simple ingredients and creating a spectacular presentation. You can serve this fun tart as an appetizer or the main meal. It’s very kid-friendly, but we think the grown-ups will like it, too.
Although hardly seen, the cheese is the star of this tart providing a moist and flavorsome layer. The ingredients suggest a generic ‘cheese slice’ but this can be adjusted to your preference. Try mozzarella for stringy, cheddar for flavor, or pepper jack for a little bite.
The weaving process, which is the key to the presentation, is actually quite quick and easy to do once you get a general concept. Cutting the strips of puff pastry so they are the same thickness as the hot dogs creates a symmetric look. This is a fun project to make with kids.
Hot Dog Tart Recipe
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 6 slices cheese
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 egg
- favorite beef rub to taste
- baking tray
- Preheat a camp oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Place one of the sheets of puff pastry on a greased baking tray.
- Lay the cheese slices on top of the puff pastry.
- Cut the second sheet of puff pastry into strips about the same thickness as the hot dogs.
- Place the alternate strips of the pastry over the cheese, then at one end place a hot dog. Add the remaining strips of puff pastry creating the first ‘over’ layers of the hot dog.
- Prepare for the second hot dog by pulling back the first strips of the puff pastry, then adding the hot dog, then swapping the pastry over and under. Keep repeating this until all the hot dogs are used.
- Gently whisk the egg with a fork then brush over the tart. Sprinkle with the meat rub.
- Place in the preheated camp oven and cook until the pastry has puffed and is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.