This is a favorite Hawaiian fast food called Loco Moco. It is the ultimate comfort food, this meal keeps you going when you have a busy day of snorkeling ahead of you or if you want a simple dinner to eat poolside.
This meal is the ultimate indulgence in layers. Cooked rice is topped with a wild pig patty, fried egg, and then the whole thing is smothered in gravy. If the ground wild boar you are using already has added fat, the eggs and sour cream can be omitted.
Pair this with some of the best fresh fruit the world has to offer and there you have it, paradise. For a shortcut, pre-seasoned sausage patties can be substituted for the meat patty, and ready-made gravy will save time.
This recipe is from Tiffany’s book Cooking Big Game. To buy this book, and many more, visit here.
Wild Pig Loco Moco Recipe
- 2 cups rice
Wild Pig Patty
- 1 pound ground wild pig
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 skillets
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or follow package directions for the microwave or stovetop.
Wild Pig Patty
- In a bowl, mix the pig, egg, breadcrumbs, sour cream, ketchup, soy sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Shape the meat mixture into 4 round patties.
- In a preheated skillet, fry the patties to desired doneness.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter on medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Lower the heat to medium and slowly add the beef broth. Cook for 5 minutes at a low boil, continually whisking to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Fry the eggs over easy or sunny-side-up.
- Serve the Loco Moco by plating all four layers in the order of rice, pattie, egg, and then gravy.
More Breakfast Recipes
Country Boys Egg Benedict
Grilled Sausage Breakfast Burger