A wonderful Mexican-influenced breakfast cooked on a flat top grill, these chorizo breakfast tacos look as good as they taste. Layers of potatoes, onions, chorizo, and eggs are cooked on a flat top. The whole thing is topped with fresh cilantro.
The fresh chorizo and potatoes combine to form a spicy type of hash, the main flavor of the dish. It is then served on top of a tortilla and topped with a fried egg. You can cook the egg to your liking, but we prefer it with a slightly runny center to create a sauce.
The breakfast is served in an open-faced style, so you might want to have some extra napkins on hand. It can be eaten alone or with a variety of condiments. Try adding hot sauce, sour cream or Mexican crema, guacamole, or pico de gallo.
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil plus more as needed
- 4 potatoes cubed
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo
- 4 eggs
- 4 tortillas
- diced fresh cilantro (coriander)
- Preheat a flat top grill to medium heat then lightly oil.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the flat top grill and fry for 5 minutes, moving them regularly until they start to brown.
- Add to the flat top the onions and garlic, then cook moving gently for 5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add to the flat top grill the fresh chorizo, then cook while moving until brown. Mix in the potatoes and onions together.
- Add the fresh eggs and tortillas to the grill. Cook the eggs until your preferred doneness and the tortillas have lightly browned.
- Assemble the four chorizo breakfast tortillas in an ‘open-faced’ style with the tortilla on the bottom, the chorizo and potato mix, then topped with the fried egg. Garnish with cilantro.