Country Boys Benedict is a combination of biscuits and gravy and eggs Benedict. The traditional Southern meal of biscuits and gravy is topped with a poached egg in a similar way to eggs benedict.
Since there is some work involved in this recipe, to save time you may use store-bought biscuits. You can use prepared sausage gravy, but we find homemade tastes the best.
Be careful when you make this dish, it’s so delicious and rich you may need to plan a long nap or walk after you eat it! Although a breakfast recipe, it is more suited to a brunch after a relaxing lay-in.
Country Boys Egg Benedict Recipe
- 1 package biscuits or homemade
- 1 package (8 oz) pork breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar for cooking
- 4 eggs
- Bake the biscuits according to package directions. Set aside.
- Sauté the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, but keep some of the grease.
- Add the butter and onions to the skillet and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, takes about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Stir the flour into the butter mixture until well incorporated.
- Very slowly whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add more milk, if necessary.
- Return the sausage to the saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Add a splash of white vinegar.
- Place a biscuit on a serving plate and top with the gravy.
- Crack an egg into a small cup. Carefully ease the egg into the water and cook for about 4 minutes, depending on doneness preferred.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and blot on a paper towel.
- Place the egg on top of the biscuits and gravy, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy.
More Biscuit Recipes
Crazy Easy Biscuits
Dutch Oven Baking
Dutch Oven Buttermilk Biscuits