Grilled sweet potatoes are a sweet and satisfying side dish to any cookout. Like other root vegetables, such as beets and potatoes, they yield their best flavor on the grill. This is a simple recipe without much fuss that highlights the natural flavor of sweet potatoes.
Naturally high in sugar, which can burn easily, watch the sweet potatoes carefully as they grill. You want them to char slightly, but not to blacken on the outside too much. Make sure to flip the potatoes often so they cook and char evenly.
Top your grilled sweet potatoes with crumbled cheese, fresh herbs, or even a drizzle of orange juice and a sprinkling of brown sugar for a sweeter side dish. Or leave them as-is with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 1 sweet potato
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- your favorite BBQ rub
- Depending on the size of the sweet potato, either cut it into quarters or sixths.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a large bowl and toss them well with the oil, salt, pepper, and BBQ rub.
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Place the sweet potatoes on the grill in a row, to make turning or “rolling” them much easier. Grill for 20 to 30 minutes, turning them every 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Casserole
Grilled Side Dish
Sweet Potato Apple Casserole