Although traditionally associated with Thanksgiving and Southern American BBQ restaurants this sweet potato casserole makes a wonderful side dish while camping all year round. Cooked and mashed sweet potatoes are topped with tiny marshmallows and cooked until golden.
Some versions of this recipe can be sickly sweet. This one has been scaled back a bit with a focus on the rich flavors rather than just a sugar hit.
The sweet potato is already cooked by the time that the marshmallows are placed on the top. The focus can be on getting a good set of coals above to create the perfect brown marshmallow. Remember the marshmallows puff a bit while cooking so be sure to leave a gap between the top of the marshmallows and the lid.
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 5 ounces mini marshmallows
- 8 inch Dutch oven
- Peel, cube, and boil the sweet potatoes in enough water to just cover them.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, remove the lid and allow the pot to start boiling the water off. Just before boiling dry add the orange juice, butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Bring just to the boil.
- Remove from the heat then mash with a fork until smooth or a texture of your preference. Smooth the top of the potatoes.
- Place a layer of mini marshmallows on the top of the sweet potatoes, leaving enough gap for the marshmallows to puff a little without touching the Dutch oven lid.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven and cover with coals, check regularly aiming to brown the marshmallows, without burning.