BBQ sweet potato and apple casserole is a unique dessert that combines grilled slices of sweet potato and apples. It is then topped with a pecan crumble.
Instead of a savory mixture like a gratin with cheese, this dessert dish is layered with a syrup and cream mixture, which keeps the dish moist and rich. It also nicely balances the tart apples.
Choose firm, sweet-tart baking apples for this dish, so they don’t fall apart on the grill or while baking. Although the sweet potato sounds like a savory ingredient it actually balances well in the final dish and is more of a neutral filler.
Sweet Potato Apple Casserole Recipe
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 9-inch (23cm) square baking dish
- Preheat the grill to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Toss the sweet potatoes with half the oil, salt, and pepper. Place on the grill and cook for about 8 minutes. Turn 45 degrees and cook for 6 more minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 8 minutes. Remove from the grill.
- Repeat the process with the apple slices, cooking for a shorter period of time.
- Reduce the grill temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans, butter, sugar, and flour to form a crumble.
- Pour a little bit of the cream mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch (23cm) square baking dish. Arrange a layer of sweet potatoes and apples, then more cream over the top. Repeat these layers until the pan is full.
- Crumble the pecan mixture over the top.
- Bake on the grill until the apples and sweet potato are cooked through as well as the top being nicely browned About 45 minutes of cook time. Serve warm.