Green bean casserole is a dish often associated with ‘Southern’ cuisine in United States of America and is eaten during Thanksgiving. This dish smothers green beans in a creamy sauce with mushrooms.
It is such an easy and tasty side dish it can easily be used as a year-round camp cooking dinner. One highlight of this dish is the crispy fried onions that are sprinkled on top once the sauce has finished cooking.
This recipe calls for canned beans and sauce which are quick and easy for camping. But if time and resources are available it may also be cooked it with fresh beans, a scratch cream sauce, and fresh mushrooms.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1 can green beans drained
- 1 can sliced mushrooms drained
- 1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- 1/2 can milk (optional)
- 1/2 cup fried onions for topping (optional)
- In a skillet add the green beans, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, and ½ a can of milk. Tip: If you aren’t in a position to take milk camping you can substitute it with the fluid in the green bean can.
- Simmer the skillet contents until well combined.
- Sprinkle with the fried onions just before serving. If you add the fried onions too soon they will go soggy.
Grilled Side Dish