Camping skillet Chorizo rice is a spicy and hearty dish that can be cooked quickly over a hot fire. Made with only five ingredients, it is easy to pack up and take on the go, or prepare at home on a busy weeknight. It is a colorful dish, with tomatoes and corn, and can be served as a simple main course or a hearty side dish.
You can cook fresh rice ahead of time, or pick up a few packages of precooked rice at the grocery store. You can use long- or short-grain rice for this dish. Brown rice will give it a heartier texture while white rice makes for a lighter meal.
Fresh Mexican chorizo is different than dried Spanish chorizo. Fresh chorizo is made from pork and resembles fresh Italian sausage, and must be cooked before eating. It releases a spicy red oil when cooking, so there is no need for additional oil in this dish.
Camping Skillet Chorizo Rice Recipe
- 1 pound fresh chorizo
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce can corn drained
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Heat a camping skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the onions and continue to cook until the onions are soft and translucent, takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, and rice and cook until heated through, stirring continuously, takes about 5 minutes.
More Chorizo Recipes
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Homemade Fresh Chorizo