A great meal made by combining easily packed and stored items, this tater tot casserole is a simple meal option. The base of the casserole is creamy canned cream of mushroom and chicken soup. We’ve used canned corn and canned peas and carrots as the vegetables.
Frozen tater tots can be hard to store without an RV or portable freezer unit. You can substitute them with dehydrated potatoes, canned sliced potatoes, or pre-shredded hash potatoes which can be kept in a cooler. If keen, you can also make your own tater tots.
Although this is a great meal for children, it can be pushed up a notch for adults. Try extra additions like a sprinkling of cheese on top, a dash of your favorite rub, a kick of heat in the beef element, or more exotic vegetables.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans mixed vegetables drained
- 1 small bag frozen tater tots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large skillet
- Preheat the camp oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef to brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the onions and cook until transparent.
- Add the cans of cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup, then rinse the cans with a small amount of water and tip into the skillet. This will be about ¼ cup of water.
- Add the vegetables to the casserole and stir in gently, being aware that canned vegetables tend to be soft and can easily become mushy.
- Spread the tatter tots across the top of the casserole. Place the skillet in the preheated camp oven to cook for 45 minutes.Tip: For a reduced cooking time you can start to cook the frozen tatter tots in another pan then add them to the base when it is ready.