Cucumber is not the first vegetable that you think of when frying, with it being more associated with salads. However, once you have tried frying it you will never want it on salad again.
When cooked the cucumber becomes very sweet and makes a wonderful side to any meal. The use of butter and seasoning with pepper helps round it out. No additional salt is needed with enough coming from the butter.
Fried cumber is definitely something worth trying next time your skillet is out, it may even become a favorite. It is super versatile and can be cooked over any heat including gas or campfire.
Skillet Fried Cucumber Recipe
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- black pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumber and slice it into sticks. Tip: Cut the cucumber into quarters length-ways, this will expose the seeds. Slice off the seeds. The main body of the cucumber will now be left and this can be sliced into strips.
- Gently heat a skillet then melt the butter in it.
- Add the cucumber and gently saute until the cucumber is softened and lightly browned.
- Lightly season with pepper then serve.