The steak is first marinated in an Asian-influenced marinade before being braised to create this Asian Beef and Cucumber dish. It is thinly sliced and served on a bed of fresh cucumber with fresh herbs. This can be served as a main dish or a first course.
For the steak lovers out there, this is a great option for when you want to try something a little different. The steak is first marinated before being braised and served on a bed of cucumbers.
Resting and cutting the steak is an important step in the process. If you do not rest the steak, the juice can end up on the chopping board rather than in the meat. Cutting against the grain makes sure the meat is tender in the mouth. This is even more important in using a lower quality cut.
Asian Beef and Cucumber Recipe
- 6 cilantro roots
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil plus additional for cooking
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 10 ounces thick steak
- 1 cup water
- 2 cm ginger finely diced
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green onion finely sliced
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro to garnish
- wok or skillet
- Finely dice the cilantro roots as fine as possible, or use a mortar and pestle to grind.
- In a sealable plastic bag add the cilantro roots, soy sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, black pepper, and sugar. Mush together to create a thick liquid/thin paste.
- Prepare the steak by removing any excess fat, gristle, or silverskin. Place in the bag with the marinade and make sure it is smeared to cover the whole steak. Place in a cool place to marinate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet or wok, then add a drizzle of peanut oil. Add the steak and sear on every side until well browned. At this point, the outside is cooked but the inside is still raw.
- Add to the skillet or wok the water and ginger to braise the steak until medium-rare, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and rest, reserve the braising liquid.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and decorate the serving plates with it.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain, and serve evenly onto the two serving plates.
- Top the steak and cucumber with the braising liquid as a sauce. Garnish with green onions and cilantro leaves.
BBQ Grilled Meat
BBQ Grilled Kebab