Dutch Oven Cornbread Pudding is a savory and flavorsome side dish that’s perfect to serve alongside your favorite stew or chili recipe. It can also be a part of a campsite barbecue feast. It is both savory and sweet, thanks to cornbread and cheese.
The recipe is made with easily packaged and stored items that travel well to a campsite or cabin. It is also a great use for leftover cornbread, which can go hard quickly when camping.
You can prepare this recipe in a Dutch oven or easily adapt it to cook in a regular or camp oven. It’s perfect for camping out or eating al fresco in the backyard. It also makes a great breakfast the next day, topped with sausage, if there are any leftovers.
Dutch Oven Cornbread Pudding Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 can (15 oz) creamed style sweet corn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cubed cornbread
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- large mixing bowl
- Preheat a Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). If using charcoal, place a full ring of coals on top of the lid around the outside edge and place half as many briquettes around the bottom outer edge of the Dutch oven.
- Add the butter and onions to the Dutch oven. Cook the onions until translucent.
- Combine the corn, cream, eggs, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the cubed cornbread and fold to combine.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the Dutch oven, right on top of the onion mixture. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 50 minutes, or until set. Cool slightly before serving.
More Corn Recipes
Easy Cooler Corn
Savory Corn Dump Cake