Free up some cooking equipment and fuel by making cooler corn, with the same great taste and less effort than traditional cooking methods. You only need two ingredients for this recipe: fresh corn and boiling water.
There have been many references to cooler corn and it is often for massive amounts to feed the whole neighborhood. However, the theory is sound and can work for a small family or group. This is particularly true on a camping trip where you may have only brought limited cooking gear.
Once the corn is cooked you can serve it any way you wish. Typically it is finished off on a grill or over the fire to give it some color and flavor. There is a wide range of toppings or you can go with the easy, but effective, butter only option.
Easy Cooler Corn Recipe
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 8 cups boiling water
- small 6-pack cooler
- Clean the cooler with hot water and dish soap.Tip: Although coolers can get dirty, don’t wash them with bleach or other chemicals immediately before using otherwise it will contaminate the corn.
- Add the ears of corn to the cooler.
- Fill the cooler with the boiling water; depending on the size of your cooler and the corn you may need a little more or a little less.Tip: Make sure the cooler is in the spot you plan to leave it for the whole cooking process (remembering you will need to empty the hot water off afterward). It is not a good idea to be carrying around a heavy cooler full of boiling water.
- Put the lid down and leave the corn to cook in the hot water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the corn from the cooler and pull back or remove the husks. Finish the corn on a barbecue or grill to add a little color and flavor.
Grilled Side Dish
Grilled Side Dish