Fill your campsite with the aromatic smells of a Dutch Oven Apple Pie, with brown sugar and cinnamon. This traditional dessert will bake while you eat dinner and be ready as a treat at the end of your meal. You will wow your family and friends with this almost-homemade traditional treat perfect for fall camping.
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to pack. Measure out everything you need before you leave for your trip and assemble the pie once you get to camp. Using a store-bought pie dough saves a lot of time and mess.
You can always prepare this pie at home, in your oven. Instead of using coals, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Then, bake the pie, uncovered, until golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 1 hour.
Dutch Oven Apple Pie Recipe
- 4 large sweet-tart apples
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg beaten
- Dutch oven
- Parchment paper
- Start the coals for the Dutch oven.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into 2-inch (5cm) slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, butter, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using parchment paper, make two “straps” and set them in the bottom of the Dutch oven to create a handle to pull out the pie once cooked.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts about 2 inches (5cm) larger than the Dutch oven. Place the pie crust in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Cut the remaining pie crust into 1-inch (2 1/2cm) strips and set aside.
- Pile the apple slices in the Dutch oven.
- Create a lattice top over the apple slices with the reserved pie crust strips. Combine the beaten egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the egg mixture over the lattice top.
- Cover the Dutch oven with the lid and set over 14 hot coals. Place 10 to 12 coals on top. The coals may need to be replaced halfway through cooking to maintain a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) temperature. Cook until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. This takes about 1 hour.
More Pie Recipes
Bacon Apple Pie
BBQ Grilled Dessert
Grilled Peach Berry Pie
BBQ Grilled Dessert