Inspired by strawberry shortcake this strawberry dump cake takes the key elements of a white cake and strawberries then converts it to a simple dessert. Dump cakes are a popular outdoor cooking dessert, particularly in Dutch ovens, due to their incredible ease to make. They are also a good combination of fruit and cake making a relatively balanced dessert.
As the name suggests you just dump all of the ingredients in and bake. But in reality, there is a little more to making it a success. Each layer should be evenly spread across the dish, and the lemonade should be lightly mixed into the cake mix being careful not to touch the strawberry layer below.
This recipe was cooked on an Aquaforno as an example of the wide range of meals that can be cooked on it. You can also cook this recipe in your home oven or on your favorite camp oven. Or in a Dutch oven over hot coals.
Strawberry Dump Cake Recipe
- 1 can strawberry pie filling
- 1 packet white cake mix
- 1 can lemonade such as Sprite
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1 cup whipping cream for serving
- 10 inch Dutch oven
- baking paper
- Aquaforno Cooking Unit or barbecue
- Preheat the 10-inch Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Make a paper liner for the Dutch oven using baking paper. Place it in the Dutch oven.
- In order, place the pie filling, white cake mix, then lemonade (Sprite). Lightly mix the cake mix with the lemonade so there is no visible powder (unless you enjoy this crumble effect). Sprinkle the dehydrated strawberries across the top of the dump cake.
- Bake the dump cake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve in scoops in a camp bowl and serve with cream like its inspiration the strawberry shortcake.
More Dump Cake Recipes
Dutch Oven Dessert
Chocolate and Cherry Dump Cake
Dutch Oven Baking
Apple Spice Dump Cake
Dutch Oven Dessert