It doesn’t get much easier than this cherry pie with oatmeal crumble. Starting with an easy homemade pie crust, the pie is then filled with cherries and a simple oatmeal crisp.
This entire pie can be cooked right on the grill. Prep the ingredients ahead of time, then bake the pie while you are eating dinner, to have dessert ready when you are done. The leftovers also make a fantastic breakfast.
You can use fresh or canned cherries for the filling, depending on what you have available. All of the other ingredients are pantry staples and easy to take along outdoors.
Oatmeal Crumble Cherry Pie Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter plus extra for the pan
- 2 cups self-rising flour sifted
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablepoon sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- pie pan
- Preheat the grill to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut the butter into the flour then add water and mix until it forms a dough.
- Roll out the dough, then put it into a warm pan with melted butter (to prevent sticking).
- Bake the crust for 30 minutes. Sprinkle a little sugar on it for added sweetness.
- Mix together the oatmeal, sugar, and butter until well blended. Set aside.
- Pour the cherry pie filling into the crust. Spread the crumble over the top.
- Bake on the preheated grill until the filling is bubbly and the crumble is golden, this takes about 1 hour.
- Let the cherry pie cool, it will help it set a little and you won’t burn your mouth.
More Cherry Recipes
Dutch Oven Dessert
Chocolate and Cherry Dump Cake
Picnic Cherry Slice
Dutch Oven Dessert
I used the crumb topping on a cherry pie that I made with Tart cherries. I was looking for a crumb topping that did NOT use flour. This recipe included a topping that was perfect. It was crispy, slightly sweet, easy to make and yummy. My sister requested the recipe. She plans on using it for her peach crisp.