A chocolate cake is filled with layers of banana fosters and then topped with a basic chocolate ganache. The cake comes together to make a tasty sweet dessert or a sweet treat during the day.
Bananas foster is a popular dessert in itself. Bananas are cooked in brown sugar to make a caramel sauce, then splashed with rum and lit on fire for a beautiful presentation. Let it cool a little before adding it to the cake.
This cake is made over a campfire in Dutch ovens but is definitely for the more adventurous and experienced outdoor cook. Be careful when working with the hot caramel sauce and the hot pans. Alternately, it can be baked in cake tins.
Fresh banana is typically used to decorate a chocolate bananas foster cake, this means it needs to be eaten soon after decorating. Dried or dehydrated banana can be used if it needs to last longer, it also gives it an extra crunch.
Chocolate Bananas Foster Cake Recipe
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Bananas Foster Filling
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups sliced bananas
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 shot dark rum
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 3 10-inch Dutch ovens
- Parchment paper
- 1 large bowl
- 1 skillet
- 1 small saucepan
- Oil and flour three 10-inch Dutch ovens and line with parchment paper. Preheat the Dutch ovens to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, and beat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the boiling water; the batter will be thin.
- Pour the batter evenly into the three prepared Dutch ovens.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Bananas Foster Filling
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter in the skillet and slowly add brown sugar to make a syrup.
- Add the sliced bananas and cinnamon. Stir well, making sure the bananas are completely covered in sauce.
- Add the rum to the mixture carefully. Using a lit match, ignite the rum and allow the flame to burn out. Set mixture aside.
- Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan to a slow boil, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir well until fully melted, smooth, and well combined with the cream.
- Cover and cool for 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a serving tray.
- Spread half the bananas foster filling on the cake, top with the second cake layer, and spread with the remaining bananas foster filling. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- Spread with the chocolate frosting on the top and sides. Place some sliced bananas on top as garnish.
BBQ Grilled Dessert