A great dish for lightweight camping or to bring to a picnic, Chicken and Bell Pepper Couscous is hearty, tasty, and cooks quickly. This dish is colorful, light, compact, and comes together in a few minutes. It makes a great lunch or light dinner.
Couscous is very easy to make, all you need is a pot of hot water to rehydrate the grains. For more flavor, use hot stock or add your favorite seasoning packet. This makes it perfect for lightweight meals as it uses little gas to cook and is easy to carry.
This dish can be prepared over the gas or fire for dinner and is ready to go in minutes. Or, you can make it ahead of time and pack it for a picnic. It can be served cold or at room temperature.
Chicken and Bell Pepper Couscous Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 bell peppers seeded and diced
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste
- medium saucepan
- Bring the chicken stock, salt, and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the couscous, cover tightly with a lid, then remove from the heat. Let the couscous steam for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork to break up any clumps.
- While the couscous steams, heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the peppers to the skillet and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chicken then cook until the chicken is heated through, 3 to 4 additional minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold the bell pepper and chicken mixture into the couscous to serve.
More Bell Pepper Recipes
Egg in a Bell Pepper
Stir Fried Chicken and Bell Pepper