This flavorsome dinner is comprised of two elements, a grilled glazed chicken served on a bed of seasoned apricot couscous. Made from semolina flour, couscous is quick to cook, filling, and absorbs the flavors of what you cook it with. It can often be found at the supermarket near the pasta selection.
Chicken thighs are used for the chicken, as generally they remain more tender and are easier to grill. However, if preferred, these can be swapped out for chicken breasts or even other poultry such as turkey, duck, and pigeon.
If you don’t have access to boiling water on demand, the couscous can be made by pouring the seasoned couscous into a pot of boiling water. Bring it back to a simmer then remove it from the heat. Don’t forget to fluff the couscous with a spoon or fork before serving, so it doesn’t clump together.
Glazed Chicken with Couscous Recipe
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup boiling water or as needed
Apricot Glazed Chicken
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more as needed
- 8 boned and skinned chicken thighs
- Aquaforno Cooking Unit or barbecue
- large bowl
- small bowl
- small pot
- basting brush
- In a large bowl add the couscous, chicken stock powder, turmeric, cumin, garlic powder, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl add the diced apricots, red onions, and slivered almonds.
- When ready to assemble (this may be while resting the chicken) add the cup of boiling water to the large bowl with the couscous and stir to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes to be absorbed. Test the couscous; if not moist add more boiling water as needed.
- When the couscous is softened, add the second small bowl and stir to combine. The couscous may be served hot immediately or chilled and served as a salad.
Apricot Glazed Chicken
- Preheat a grill to a moderate temperature.
- In a small pot add the apricot jam, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, water, Dijon mustard, cinnamon, and salt. Stir well then bring to a gentle simmer; put aside until needed.
- Lay out the chicken thighs and remove any fat, gristle, or residual bone shards. Lightly salt both sides.
- Place the chicken on the preheated grill. When it starts to brown flip. When cooked throughout, 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) lightly brush with the glaze then flip immediately. Let cook for 1 minute then add more glaze and flip. Continue until both sides have two coats of cooked glaze.
- Seve the hot chicken thighs sliced on top of the apricot chicken couscous.
More Glazed BBQ Recipes
Five Spice Glazed Rotisserie Duck
Honey Glazed Pork Ribs