Inspired by the Australian chocolate, the Cherry Ripe, this picnic cherry slice is a decadent dessert. Layers of cookie base, cherries and coconut, and a chocolate topping make this dessert as pretty to look at as it is to eat. It’s perfect for a rich dessert or even a mid-day snack.
The filling features finely diced glace cherries, also known as candied cherries. These are mixed with condensed milk and desiccated coconut to round out the filling before the chocolate topping is added. A bit of red food coloring helps to make the filling pop a bright cherry red, but you can always leave it out for a more subtle flavor.
The cherry slice is very rich so only a small slice is needed. Another serving option is to cut into small bite-sized pieces and serve as finger food. Either way, you’ll love this sweet treat.
Picnic Cherry Slice Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar (caster sugar)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 stick butter melted
- 7 ounces red glace cherries finely chopped
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 to 3 drops red food coloring
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- 3/4 ounce vegetable shortening unsalted butter
- 6-inch by 10-inch (16cm x 26cm) spring form pan or removable base tart tin
- medium bowl
- Preheat the camp oven to 350degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Lightly grease the tart tray.
- Sift the flour, sugar, and cocoa into a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the tart tray then gently press down to create an even base in the tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and rest.
- In a medium bowl, combine the finely diced cherries, condensed milk, coconut, and red food coloring. Stir to combine well for an even color.
- Spoon the cherry filling over the base and smooth the surface.
- Return to the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Place the chocolate and vegetable shortening in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir continuously until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the cherry filling and spread evenly. Set aside for 30 minutes to set.
- Slowly and carefully remove the full slice from the tart tray.
- Cut the slice into serving-sized pieces.
More Slice Recipes
Chocolate Caramel Slice
Homemade Vanilla Slice