Grilled fruit is a common barbecue dessert. The grill caramelizes the natural sugars in fruit, giving them a rich, deep flavor, especially when paired with smoke. These turmeric grilled pears are a great example of a sweet yet healthy dessert.
The turmeric both adds a subtle flavor and bold yellow color to the pears. The flavors are amplified with a longer cook time, which allows the pears to soften and sweeten. Experiment with different types of pears to see how the flavors change.
The pears are very rich and sweet which is counterbalanced with a less sweet side such as a basic whipped cream, plain vanilla ice cream, or English-style custard. Be careful not to cook on too hot a heat otherwise the grill marks can become blackened and bitter. It is best to serve these right when they come off the grill.
Turmeric Grilled Pears Recipe
- 2 pears
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch sea salt
- spray oil
- ice cream for serving
- grill grates
- Preheat the grill to a moderate heat, about 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Slice the pears into quarters and remove the core and seeds.
- In a plastic bag add the pears, demerara sugar, turmeric, nutmeg, and salt. Shake well to fully coat the pears, then rest while the grill heats.
- Spray the grill with the oil, then add the pears. Grill until there are caramelized sugar grill marks then turn, repeat until the three sides of the pear are cooked.
- Remove and serve warm with a cream or ice cream.