Squid is a readily available item but often avoided as it has a reputation of being hard to cook. This simple chorizo-stuffed recipe shows how easy cooking it on a barbecue can be. The stuffing is a combination of spicy sausage and cooked vegetables, which helps to add more moisture to the squid.
Squid is a delicate item to cook and if overcooked can quickly become chewy. To avoid this it is best to stuff it with a precooked and if possible still warm or hot fillings. This is so the squid is exposed to hot temperatures for a minimal amount of time.
You can clean your own squid or ask your local fishmonger to do it for you. If you’re buying frozen squid, this step is often done beforehand. The squid is lightly marinated before cooking, to give it extra flavor.
Chorizo-Stuffed Squid Recipe
- dash olive oil
- 3 links chorizo sausage diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum),seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup mirin vinegar
- 1/2 cup sake vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 sprig dill broken down into smaller pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 squid
- Preheat a skillet or frying pan or medium heat with a dash of olive oil. Add the chorizo, onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook, while stirring, until softened.
- In a bowl combine the mirin vinegar, sake vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and dill. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Clean the squid and trim if necessary. Add the squid to the prepared marinade and leave for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a grill for indirect heat at 275 to 300 degrees F (130 to 140 degrees C).
- Remove the squid from the marinade and shake off any excess liquids.
- Stuff the squid with the prepared chorizo stuffing. Reattach the tentacles with toothpicks.
- Gently place the squid on the preheated grill. Cook the squid until it reaches an internal temperature of 155 to 160 degrees F (68 to 71 degrees C), about 45 minutes.
More Squid Recipes
BBQ Grilled Seafood
Grilled Squid Salad