This is a delicious spring roll that uses cabbage as the bulk of the filling rather than the more common noodles. This makes it a slightly healthier and more flavorful version. The rest of the filling is stuffed with vegetables and aromatics, creating a delicious finger food.
Making your own spring rolls can take a little bit of time but is well worth the effort. The few first rolls may look a little funny as you get good at the technique, but don’t give up. This can be a fun family or friend activity, with rolls made assembly-line style.
You can serve spring rolls as an appetizer with a dipping sauce. Or serve them as finger food as part of a larger main meal. They are crisp, crunchy, fresh, and delicious.
Homemade Spring Rolls Recipe
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon or 1 stock cube
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 cup peas
- 2 ribs celery finely diced
- 1/2 head cabbage thinly sliced
- 20 sheets spring roll wrappers thawed
- oil to deep fry
- Preheat the wok, then saute the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the beef, soy sauce, and beef stock then cook until browned all the way through.
- Add the carrots, peas, and celery, then cook until soft.
- Stir through the cabbage and cook, stirring, until softened. Taste and adjust the flavor with additional soy sauce as needed.
- Layout each spring roll wrapper individually. Place the filling in one corner of the wrapper and place a dab of water on the opposite corner. Fold the non-watered corner over the filling, then the two sides in, and roll into the traditional spring roll shape.
- Preheat the oil to about 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Add a few spring rolls at a time to the oil. If you add too many spring rolls, too much heat is taken out of the oil and it cools, making the spring roll absorb more oil and take longer to cook.
- Place the cooked spring rolls on a paper towel to drain and rest. Serve with your favorite Asian dipping sauce.
More Appetizer Recipes
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Grilled Korean Barbecue Wings
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Grilled Eggplant Appetizer