This quick-cook stir-fried beef in black bean sauce is an easy and flavorsome way to cook beef while camping. The beef is paired with onions, bright bell peppers, and a rich and savory black bean sauce. It goes great served over hot cooked rice or even ramen noodles.
Black bean sauce is a common Asian cooking ingredient that you can find at my stores. It uses fermented black beans, which can have a strong and salty flavor. Because of this, don’t be tempted to add additional black bean sauce before tasting the dish.
Cooking with a wok can take a little practice. Because it is made from a thin material and used over high heat, it is important to keep the food moving as it can quickly burn. This is a dish where it is important to make sure all of the ingredients are prepared before you start cooking.
Beef and Black Bean Recipe
- 2 pounds rump steak
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper any color
- 1 large carrot
- 2 cloves garlic
Black Bean Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fermented black bean sauce
- 1/4 cup beef stock or water
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- small bowl
- wok or skillet
- Trim any excess fat from the beef then slice as thinly as possible.Tip: To get the beef as thin and tender as many restaurants, par-freeze the beef so it can be cut thinner. After slicing use a meat mallet to flatten each small piece of meat.
- Peel and/or seed the onion, bell pepper, and carrot, then slice into equally sized strips. Finely mince the garlic.
Black Bean Sauce
- In the small bowl combine the black bean sauce, dark soy sauce, beef stock, and sugar. In a cup whisk the cornstarch and water together with a fork.
- Place the wok over high heat. When hot add the peanut and sesame oil then swirl to cover the bottom of the wok.
- Add the beef and cook while stirring until it loses its redness. Add the onions, bell peppers, and carrots. When the onions start to become translucent add the garlic and stir through.
- Immediately add the black bean sauce and stir through. When it starts to boil add the cornstarch mix while continuing to stir. As soon as it is thickened and starts to boil again serve.