Take fair food on your next camping trip with this Skillet Funnel Cake recipe that is a family favorite dessert. This is a fun hands-on treat, to both prepare and eat. You’ll be transported to your childhood with this sweet, fried cake.
After being deep-fried in a skillet, the funnel cake is dusted with confectioner’s sugar and then topped with strawberries and cream. Feel free to adjust to your favorite fair choice like cinnamon sugar. Or top with vanilla ice cream for an extra decadent dessert.
Everything is a win about this dessert. There are no long lines to wait in at the fair, you can add your own fresh healthy toppings, and it is loved by the whole family. Oh, and you can serve it in a napkin, so there are no dishes to deal with!
Skillet Funnel Cake Recipe
- oil for deep frying
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar for dusting
- 1 cup fresh strawberries for serving (optional)
- 1 cup cream to serve
- 8 inch Dutch oven
- Heat 1-inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)in a skillet.Tip: Cooking with hot oil can be dangerous, don’t be tempted to use too much oil otherwise it could bubble over and catch fire.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs, then add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Move the batter to a jug or similar to help pour it into the cooking oil.
- Pour the batter into the hot oil in the skillet in a random fashion to create the traditional lace-like pattern. Leave to cook on one side.
- When golden brown, turn the funnel cake over and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- When serving, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, top with fresh strawberries, and finish off with some cream.
Dutch Oven Dessert