This popular American restaurant dessert of a giant skillet chocolate chip cookie can now be cooked outdoors with this easy recipe. Perfect as a dessert or sweet snack this giant chocolate chip cookie is easily cooked in a skillet. It is topped with a Dutch oven lid to allow it to be cooked with campfire coals or charcoal briquettes.
The two-part recipe includes one part made at home, and instructions to finish and cook at the campsite. This reduces the workload in the outdoors and the need to carry multiple separate ingredients. The whole thing is mixed in a plastic bag with just a few basic ingredients,
The cookie is perfect served warm straight from your Dutch oven. Or, try making homemade ice cream to serve alongside the cookie. This is a fun treat to share on a camping trip.
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Prepare at Home
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- large plastic sealable bag
- 10 inch skillet
- lid for a 10-inch Dutch oven
- 10 inch round parchment paper
Prepare at Home
- In the sealable plastic bag add the flour, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and white sugar. Seal, then put aside until needed.
- Preheat the skillet and Dutch oven lid.
- Add to the plastic bag the melted butter, milk, and egg. Mash together with your hands until the ingredients combine to form a firm dough.
- Add the baking paper to the skillet. Add the dough on top and spread to evenly cover the base of the skillet.
- Set the skillet at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). This can be done by using 5 charcoal briquettes on the bottom and 10 on top.
- Cook for 90 minutes, the charcoal briquettes will need to be changed halfway through as typically they only last 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, let sit for 10 minutes to cool. The skillet cookie can be removed then cut into pieces, or cut and served in the skillet. If cutting in the skillet use a butter knife and be careful not to damage the seasoning on the skillet. Serve warm.
More Skillet Dessert Recipes
Skillet Funnel Cake
Skillet Pineapple Fritters