Mini bacon and egg pies are quick and easy to make. They are great for barbecues as appetizers or a fun brunch. They are perfect to be cooked in a camp oven or at home to take on outdoor trips.
Although all the ingredients are mixed together in one big bowl, when baked they separate out slightly to create a cleat crust with a bacon and egg filling. This characteristic is what makes them a pie, although they could also be referred to as a quiche.
When cooked on a smoker or on a closed grill they get an added depth of smoky flavor which makes them even better. The flavor can also be boosted by experimenting with the cheese used and additional herbs or spices can be added.
Mini Bacon and Egg Pies Recipe
- 3 eggs whisked
- 4 rashers bacon diced
- 1 small onion very finely diced
- 1/4 cup grated cheese of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of thickened cream
- 2 6-hole muffin trays
- Preheat the camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Lightly grease 2 muffin trays with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, bacon, onion, cheese, salt, pepper, and cream with a fork until mixed together well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared trays.
- Bake in the camp oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.