All the key components of a basic breakfast, including eggs and bacon, are included in this hearty bacon and egg breakfast pizza. It is super easy to cook in the morning while sitting around camp. It also makes a fun lunch or breakfast for dinner.
The pizza base is an America style biscuit, like a scone. This is not only a common breakfast accompaniment but also much quicker and easier to make the base in the morning compared to a traditional pizza yeast dough. If you’re really in a hurry, you can use a pre-cooked pizza dough base.
The toppings for this breakfast pizza are very basic and taste great. If you are looking for something a little more hearty, you can add other favorite breakfast toppings. Try sliced sausages, tomatoes, or sauteed mushrooms.
This recipe was cooked on an Aquaforno as an example of the wide range of meals that can be cooked on it.
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Pizza Recipe
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- pizza stone
- Aquaforno Cooking Unit or barbecue
- Preheat the camp oven with a pizza stone to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and fold together with a butter knife until just combined. Tip out onto a clean bench.
- Lightly fold the dough together until smooth, then flatten into a round. If desired a bowl can be used to cut a perfect circle.
- Cut the bacon into squares about the size of a postage stamp, then cook in a small fry pan until lightly browned.
- Add to the pizza base the Parmesan cheese and a small amount of mozzarella. Evenly spread the bacon across the top of the pizza. Add the remaining mozzarella.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone then crack the egg into the center of the dough. If desired you can add multiple eggs. Sprinkle with the cracked black pepper.
- Cook until the pizza base is cooked, the cheese melted, and the egg cooked, this takes about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals