Looking for a simple main for your next camping dinner? Look no further than this easy yet flavorful Dutch Oven Lemon Thyme Chicken.
A single lemon is distributed in and around the chicken along with thyme. The chicken is then baked in a Dutch oven, letting all the flavors infuse while the chicken remains tender.
The chicken can be served with your choice of vegetables, salad, or other sides. Or, if you like, throw in a few halved baby potatoes with the chicken as it cooks.
Dutch Oven Lemon Thyme Chicken Recipe
- 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- Cut the lemon in half, then continue cutting one of the halves into round slices.
- Place the chicken in the Dutch oven, then place the full half lemon inside the chicken. Gently place your hand between the chicken meat on the skin to detach it. Place the lemon slices on top of the chicken yet under the skin, then similarly add the thyme and butter.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Bring the Dutch oven to about 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) then cook for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked throughout, at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Dutch Oven Main Dish
BBQ Grilled Meat