This unique main dish will have your guests coming back for more. A pork loin is stuffed with Polish Kielbasa, then wrapped in a bacon weave. The entire thing is surrounded by sauerkraut and roasted in a Dutch oven.
The pork is surrounded by sauerkraut while it roasts in the Dutch oven. The sauerkraut can be swapped out for a range of side vegetables, like carrots, baby potatoes, or greens. Fresh cabbage could also be used if sauerkraut isn’t available, however, the preserved version does travel better while camping.
Once cooked the effect is quite special, with slices exposing the sausage within. But isn’t too much of a surprise as the Kielbasa flavor permeates every part of the dish and is the first aroma that hits you when you remove the lid. Make sure to have some nice stone-ground mustard on hand for serving.
Dutch Oven Pork Sausage Roast Recipe
- 3 pound pork loin
- 1 Polish Kielbasa
- favorite pork rub to taste
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 jar sauerkraut
- 1 apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 14 inch Dutch oven (deep if available)
- Trim the pork loin removing any silver skin and excess fat. Using a narrow knife insert it longways through the pork. Take the Kielbasa sausage and insert it into the hole so it passes through the whole pork loin.
- Sprinkle the rub onto the pork loin.
- Lay the bacon strips on a chopping board then weave the bacon. When done place the pork loin on top and roll to wrap around the whole pork loin.
- Gently heat the Dutch oven. Add any bacon not used in the weave on the bottom as a protective layer. Place the bacon-wrapped pork loin on top with the join at the bottom.
- Place the sauerkraut around the base of the pork loin.
- Top the pork loin with the sliced apple and evenly sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Bring the Dutch oven up to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) with heat from above and below. Roast the pork loin for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).
- Serve hot, slicing the pork to expose the sausage inside.
Dutch Oven Main Dish
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals